Monday, December 13, 2010

Alderman David Maack will not seek a six term


Statement By Alderman David L. Maack

Two years ago, as I began my fifth term as alderman for the 5th District, I made the decision that this would be my last term. However, many asked me to reconsider my decision so like we do every two years, I sat down with my family and we weighed the pros and cons of that decision. This is my daughter’s last year at home. My son is working towards his Eagle Scout and I would like to help him achieve that goal. Therefore, we have decided not to seek a sixth term on the City Council.

I have been overwhelmed by the support and encouragement that I have received, along with the offers of help with this upcoming election. This was not an easy decision to make because I enjoy serving the residents of the Fifth District and there is still much work to be done.

However, I have always said we do not own these seats-we are instead trustees or caretakers-and it is our responsibility to leave our community better than we found it. We have invested in our infrastructure and we have the cleanest beach on Lake Michigan. North Beach is bustling during the summer months and we have a beautiful city.

Over the years I have fought for cleaner, safer neighborhoods. I have worked hard to change the way we issue alcohol licenses, I was not afraid to make difficult budget decisions, I requested a transparent and open review of our city budget which we now do, I have fought to close down problem bars and I have advocated for both my constituents and our Hispanic community.

I sponsored a fire inspection fee which has helped stabilize funding for our Fire Prevention Bureau and I proposed our permanent clean sweep program which is run by our Wastewater Utility.

I have worked with four mayors-each very different in their style and approach to governing. I have worked with numerous aldermen-many who I learned from. And I have always found our staff to be professional and competent.

I have had many memorable moments over the past ten years. Many good, some not so. As a new alderman I was a part of the historic sewer agreement and now as I close out my term, the historic joint dispatch agreement has finally been signed.

I had the privilege of being a part of the official delegation to Zapotlanejo in Mexico and as City Council president, I had the honor of hosting a reception for the visiting delegation to Racine. I also had the honor of rededicating Monument Square, and on a sadder note, leading our city through its most tumultuous time.

I have been humbled to receive many awards over the past ten years for my work in the community including the Boy Scout’s Silver Beaver award, Leadership Racine’s Community Trustee award, UW Parkside’s Martin Luther King Jr. Community Service award and the King Center’s Hispanic Unsung Hero award.

There is still much work to be done. The fire departments east of I-94 should be combined, the council has the job of redistricting next year and Racine is still suffering the effects of the national recession. However, there will always be issues and challenges before the council and turnover and change are healthy for a community.

Once again, I would like to thank the residents of the Fifth District for placing their trust in me. I have given this city a decade of my life, my children have spent over half of their lives in City Hall Chambers seeing how government functions and I have been enriched by the experience. Through it all I can say that I have served with passion, integrity and a determination to do what is right for the citizens of Racine. And for that I say thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment